Business publication Inc. revealed its annual Inc. 5000 list of America’s fastest-growing private companies on Aug. 14, with this year’s list representing $358 billion in 2022 total revenue and 1.19 million jobs created between 2019 and 2022.
Much like MDM’s annual Top Distributors rankings, which were released in early June of this year, the Inc. 5000 is purely a revenue-based ranking, with the main differences being that it’s based on growth rate rather than total revenue, and focuses on private firms.
To qualify, companies must:
- Have been founded and generating revenue by the end of March 2019
- Be U.S.-based, privately-held, for-profit, and independent (not subsidiaries or divisions of other companies as of the end of 2022)
- Had a minimum 2019 revenue of $100,000; the minimum for 2022 is $2 million
Everyone seems to love rankings lists, which is why last year I provided a rundown of all the distributors on the 2022 Inc. 5000, which numbered to more than 50 distributors in all. But because that list numbers to 5,000 and covers 32 different industries, this year I’m scaling that back to show the distributors of industrial, commercial and building supply/construction products — which are the product categories MDM covers for its Top Distributors feature.
MDM’S SHIFT Conference, held Sept. 18-20 in Denver, brings together distribution leaders to learn and network across topics of sales & marketing, digital transformation, data analytics and talent management. Find more info here.
This resulted in the following rundown of 17 distributors I identified below in the 2023 Inc. 5000. I’ve included their ranking, company name, headquarters location, three-year growth rate, founding year and Inc.’s one-sentence description of the company.
View the full 2023 Inc. 5000 here, in which you can view the entire list, or view it by industry, state, metro, or by company search.
Industrial, Commercial and Building/Construction Distributors on 2023 Inc. 5000
- Black Box Safety (El Cajon, California). 4,457% 3-year growth. Founded 2017.
- “Supplying emergency response, infection control, janitor/sanitation, medical, office, police/fire/EMS and safety products.”
- Pye-Barker Fire & Safety (Alpharetta, Georgia). 621% 3-year growth. Founded 1946.
- “Providing testing, maintenance and installation of fire detection systems, alarms, extinguishers, fire suppression and sprinkler systems, security and monitoring services.”
1,062. Induparts Supply Corp. (Miami, Florida). 558% 3-year growth. Founded 2018.
- “Supplier with extensive experience in the purchase and distribution of industrial equipment, spare parts and machinery, offering competitive, quality service.”
1,717. Quality Wholesale & Supply (Austin, Texas). 324% 3-year growth. Founded 1988.
- “Distributor of supplies and equipment to the professional cleaning and restoration industry, including contractors, heavy industry and health care.”
2,737. Pioneer Aero Supply (Chicago, Illinois). 195% 3-year growth. Founded 2015.
- “Company serving as a wholesaler for a wide range of aircraft parts, located in Chicago, Illinois.”
2,994. SRS Distribution* (McKinney, Texas). 173% 3-year growth. Founded 2008.
- “One of the largest and fastest-growing U.S. distributors, focused on serving customers, partnering with suppliers and attracting the best talent.”
- No. 5 on MDM’s 2023 Top Building Materials/Construction Distributors List.
3,245. Kodiak Building Partners* (Highlands Ranch, Texas). 157% 3-year growth. Founded 2011.
- “Firm partnering with locally owned and operated building-materials companies to build residential and commercial properties across the U.S.”
- No. 11 on MDM’s 2023 Top Building Materials/Construction Distributors List.
3,277. Parts Town Unlimited (Addison, Illinois). 155% 3-year growth. Founded 1987.
- “Distributor of equipment replacement parts and related products and services for the foodservice, residential appliance and HVAC industries.”
3,402. Field Industries (Houston, Texas). 147% 3-year growth. Founded 2011.
- “Values-focused industrial distributor of steel and alloy flanges, fittings, pipe, and related materials based in Houston, Texas.”
3,489. Van Meter (Cedar Rapids, Iowa). 142% 3-year growth. Founded 1928.
- “Distributor providing electrical and automation products and services to contractor, industrial and commercial customers, including lighting, communications, solar and more.”
3,582. Revolution Office (Chatsworth, California). 137% 3-year growth. Fuonded 2018.
- “Provider of office technology products and services, focused on scanning, printing and hardware solutions to lower cost and increase productivity.”
3,717. 84 Lumber Company* (Eighty Four, Pennsylvania). 129% 3-year growth. Founded 1956.
- “Privately held supplier of building materials, manufactured components and industry-leading services for single and multi-family residences and commercial buildings.”
- No. 4 on MDM’s 2023 Top Building Materials/Construction Distributors List.
3,966. Trinity Packaging Supply (Voorhees Township, New Jersey). 117% 3-year growth. Founded 2010.
- “Wholesale sourcer of pallets and packaging supplies with a proprietary e-commerce platform that aggregates supplier catalogs.”
4,091. Katom Restaurant Supply (Kodak, Tennessee). 111% 3-year growth. Founded 1992.
- “Firm offering commercial kitchen equipment and restaurant supplies at wholesale prices, including thousands of products that qualify for fast, free shipping.”
4,636. City Electric Supply Co. (Dallas, Texas). 87% 3-year growth. Founded 1983.
- “An electrical wholesale distributor that specializes in tailored customer service to support professionals in residential, commercial and industrial sectors.”
- No. 8 on MDM’s 2023 Top Electrical Distributors List.
4,667. TruTech Tools (Mogadore, Ohio). 86% 3-year growth. Founded 2007.
- “Online distributor of tools and test equipment serving the HVAC/R, building performance and energy auditing industries.”
4,827. Chefs Depot (Spring Valley, New York). 80% 3-year growth. Founded 1999.
- “Full-service restaurant equipment and supplies dealer, offering benefits from concept to completion or anywhere in between.”
Honorable mention: Green Bay, Wisconsin-based Packer Fastener, which charted at No. 4,294 in 2022, saw its logistics business, Packer Freight, rank at No. 1572 in 2023 based on its 362% 3-year growth.
Distributors remain confident after a strong 2022 despite signs the economy may be slowing in…
We condense the guest interviews and analysis from our Top Distributors webcast into a compilation…
The Institute for Supply Management’s Spring Economic Forecast predicts revenue to increase and manufacturing to…